Monday, 9 May 2016

After Dinner Walks

We became Sub-Lieutenants  on  01  July  1979  and  our  course  comprising  of about  65  officers  were divided  into  two  lots  and  posted  to  various  Training Establishments  in  Kochi.  INS  Venduruthy  is  located on  the  scenic  Wellingdon  Island  of  Kochi  and  is  the  training  Establishment  of  the  Navy.  The  Base  offers  a perfect  setting  for  under-trainees  with  its  rows  of  spacious  cabins  and  facilities  like  swimming  pool, tennis,  squash,  movie hall,  etc.  The Officer’s  Institute  is  also  just a  stone’s  throw  away  for a  quick evening drink.
I  wasn’t  rich  enough  to  buy  a  bike  so  I  chose  a  cabin  close  to  the  dining room  to  cut short  the  time taken to  walk  for my  meals.  These  cabins  were  available  at  a  premium  and  given  on  sharing basis  between  two officers.  My  cabin  orderly  was  a simpleton and we had no  choice  but  to  speak to each other with a combination of sign language and English,  since  I  didn’t  know  Malayalam and  he  didn’t  know  Hindi.
The  first  night  after  returning  from dinner I  met  him  at  the  entrance  of  our block  and  enquired whether  the other  officer  was  in  the  cabin  or  had  gone  for dinner.  His  reply  was  “Saab  is  playing  with  the balls.”  The  thought  of Saab  ‘playing  with  the  balls’  ran  through  my  head  and rolled  over me  like  a  tidal wave rolls  over hills  and  valleys  and  flattens  everything  it  hits.  My  first  thought  was  that  saab  had  gone bananas,  ‘playing  with  the  balls’  in  plain  sight  of  the  orderly.  So  I  decided  to  go  for a long  walk  and  give saab  enough  time  to  finish  with  what  he  was  doing, before  returning to  the  cabin. The  second  evening,  the  incident  repeated  itself when  he  told  me  “Saab  is  playing  with  the  balls.”  Another long  walk  followed.   I  couldn’t  take  this  anymore.  I  decided  to  launch  my  own  tactical surge  and  tell  saab  to  keep  his  affairs private and out  of  sight of the public domain.
So  on  the  third  night  I  confronted  the  saab  before  going to  dinner  and  started  a conversation. “You  ought  to  visit  the  Reading Room  after  dinner.  Its  open  till  late  in  the  evening. You  could  indulge yourself with some light reading after dinner, before finally crashing into bed.”
Saab  frowned  at me  and  seemed  to  roll  the  thought  around  his  mind  “I  don’t  like  reading  magazines” he said  matter-of-factly.
 I  tried  a  more  egalitarian  approach  “I  go  for  evening  walks  to  soothe  my  nerves,  why  don’t you?”  I blurted.
Saab  leant  back  on  his  chair with  his hands  folded behind  his  head  and  looked  infuriatingly  pleased  with  himself.  “I had  a  wonderful  evening,  for  your  kind  information.  Also  I  don’t  need  to  soothe  my  nerves”  he  said, looking  relaxed  and  ready  for a little  callousness.
I  stared  at  him  as  muddy  thoughts  moiled  around  in  the  murky  depths  of  my  muddled mind.  
I  was  about  to  pull  the  plug  on  the  whole  incident  when  the  civilian  bearer walked  into  the  cabin  and started  looking  backwards  and  forwards  between  Saab  and  me as if he were watching a tennis match  and  finally  said  “I  told  you  sir,  I  saw  Saab playing  with  the  balls  in  the  Billiard  room.” It  all suddenly  made  sense to  me  in  flash,  as  I  burst  out  laughing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment